Everything You Need To Know About Hiring A Houston Personal Injury Attorney
After being injured in an accident, victims often find themselves in serious pain, unable to work, and drowning in debt. Fortunately, if you’ve been injured in an accident caused by the negligence of another person or entity, you may be eligible for significant financial compensation. However, if you wish to seek compensation for your injuries, you shouldn’t do so without the assistance of an experienced Houston personal injury lawyer. Our knowledgeable attorneys at Milano Legal Group are here to help you obtain the financial compensation you deserve for your Houston personal injury. When you become our client, regardless of the type of accident that caused your injury, our experienced lawyers will do everything possible to see your case through to a successful conclusion. In addition, if you’ve lost a family member due to an accident involving negligence, we will help you pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party. In this Houston personal injury lawyer guide, we discuss personal injury cases in Texas and explain how to find an accident injury attorney that is right for you.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
A Houston personal injury attorney can represent you in a variety of personal injury cases, including:
Although riding a bicycle is a convenient alternative to driving a motor vehicle, taking public transportation, or walking, it can also be quite dangerous. Unfortunately, cyclists’ relative lack of protection means they tend to sustain serious injuries when involved in accidents with motorists.
Distracted Driving Accidents
Distracted driving is more of a problem today than it has ever been. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400,000 people were injured in crashes involving a distracted driver in 2019 alone.
Drunk Driving Accidents
It is no surprise that driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a bad idea. Drunk driving kills around 10,000 people every year in the United States. Those who survive their accidents are often left with life-changing injuries.
Like bicycles, motorcycles are a great alternative to passenger vehicles. However, bikers involved in accidents with motor vehicles tend to suffer serious injuries, especially when traveling at high speeds. In fact, hundreds of bikers are killed each year in Texas.
According to data from the Texas Department of Transportation, annual pedestrian deaths in Texas sometimes outnumber motorcycle crash deaths. Many pedestrians who survive their accidents sustain life-altering injuries.
Semi-trucks pose serious risks to other vehicles due to their size and power. The results of a commercial truck colliding with a smaller vehicle are nearly always catastrophic.
When someone dies as a result of someone else’s negligence, the deceased’s family members may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Family members of the deceased can obtain financial compensation for the loss of their loved one by filing a wrongful death claim.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
A Houston personal injury lawyer can help you obtain financial compensation for your injuries, regardless of the type of accident you’ve been involved in or the injury you have suffered. The personal injury process can be broadly separated into the following three stages: (1) investigation and demand, (2) litigation, and (3) financial recovery. When you hire a personal injury lawyer to assist you, they will guide you through each of these stages:
Investigation And Demand
During the initial stage of your case, your lawyer will collect as much information as possible about your accident. Based on this information, they will then make a monetary demand on the defendant or the defendant’s insurer. If this demand results in a fair settlement offer, your accident injury attorney will take the necessary steps to ensure that you receive the agreed-upon amount. However, if the defendant makes you a lowball offer or declines to settle your case, your attorney will proceed to the next step.
Next, your attorney will draw on their knowledge, skill, and experience to handle all aspects of the litigation process on your behalf. Common litigation tasks include filing paperwork, conducting discovery, and collecting evidence. If your case fails to settle during the litigation stage, your accident attorney will take your case to trial.
Finally, whether you settle your case or win at trial, your accident lawyer will make sure you receive the money you are owed, which may entail filing post-trial motions to collect the court judgment, coordinating payment through the defendant’s insurer, or taking other necessary measures.
What to Look for in a Personal Injury Attorney
When you hire the right accident attorney, your chances of a successful outcome in your Houston personal injury case increase dramatically. You should do the following to find an attorney who will provide you with the best chance of success:
- Choose an attorney who focuses primarily on personal injury law: Although this may seem obvious, the accident injury attorney you select should primarily practice personal injury law. Each type of practice area is highly specialized, and attorneys usually only focus their practice in a handful of areas. So, for example, when choosing a Houston personal injury attorney, you shouldn’t hire an attorney whose primary focus is divorce law.
- Choose a Houston personal injury lawyer who has ample experience handling cases like yours: Not only should the attorney you choose practice personal injury law, but they should have tried similar cases to yours. For example, if you were injured in a pedestrian accident, you should hire an attorney who has previously handled pedestrian accident cases.
- Choose an attorney who is willing to take your case to trial: Although most personal injury cases settle before trial, if yours is a rare case that doesn’t, you’ll need an accident lawyer with sufficient trial experience.
- Choose an attorney with a track record of success: No lawyer should ever guarantee a specific outcome to your case. However, attorneys are free to share their previous achievements with you. So, while past success does not guarantee future results, hiring an attorney with a proven track record is rarely the wrong decision.
- Choose a lawyer who will give you past clients’ contact information: Finally, a successful attorney will have a long list of satisfied clients, and they should be happy to put you in touch with some of them.
Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Attorney During Your Initial Consultation
You must ask the right questions during your initial consultation to ensure that you hire an attorney who possesses the above qualities. You should ask your prospective attorney the following questions during your initial consultation:
- How long have you practiced personal injury law?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to personal injury cases?
- Can you provide me with references?
- Will you personally handle my case, or will you delegate most of the work to legal assistants and paralegals?
- Will I be able to speak with you directly when I call your office to discuss my case?
- Can you give me an overview of how personal injury cases work in Houston?
- Do you handle cases on a contingency basis?
- Will I be charged for litigation-related expenses if litigation is required?
- How much is my case worth?
- What are my case’s strengths and weaknesses?
Contact an Experienced Attorney
If you’ve been injured, Milano Legal Group is here to help. When you hire us to pursue your personal injury claim in Texas, our legal team will determine who caused the accident and aggressively seek financial compensation on your behalf. If you’re concerned about your ability to pay, don’t be—our personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. In other words, if we don’t win your case, you owe us nothing. So, if an accident in Houston has left you or a loved one injured, please contact us today to schedule a free consultation.