Our Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Help You Get The Compensation You Deserve
Riding a motorcycle can be both fun and functional. But as many motorcyclists–or former motorcyclists–will tell you, riding a motorcycle can also be incredibly dangerous.
In fact, in a single year in the state of Texas, the Texas Department of Transportation reported hundreds of motorcycle crashes and more than 500 motorcyclist deaths.
At the office of the Milano Legal Group Accident Attorneys, our Houston motorcycle accident lawyers believe that these crash types should never happen and that when they do, injured motorcyclists should be compensated for the full extent of the damages that they suffer. If you have been in a crash with a motor vehicle in Houston, reach out to our office today to learn more about how we can help.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents in Houston
Motorcycle accidents in Houston are some of the most serious accident types, and therefore knowing how they occur and how they can be avoided is important for protecting motorcyclists from harm.
Some of the most common types of motorcycle accidents include:
- Rear-end accidents, where a motorcyclist is hit from behind. Sometimes, the accident results in the motorcyclist becoming wedged between two vehicles, which can result in serious injuries.
- Left-turn accidents occur when a vehicle makes a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcyclist. Another type of left-turn accident is one where the motorcyclist is making a left-hand turn and they are hit by a vehicle proceeding straight through the intersection.
- Lane-changing and merging accidents, most commonly occur when one of the vehicles involved is attempting to change lanes and the driver fails to see the motorcyclist. Motorcycles are smaller than passenger cars and therefore harder to see and often lost in a driver’s blind spot.
Most of the motorcycle accidents that occur, including the accident types listed above, could be avoided by paying more attention to the road, always looking before performing a maneuver, and putting distractions away.
Other top causes of motorcycle accidents include drunk driving, speeding, distracted driving, and aggressive driving.
Motorcycle Accidents Cause Serious Injuries
It’s easy to understand why a motorcycle accident can cause a serious injury – motorcyclists have no protections to prevent against harm, except for perhaps a helmet. As such, it is often a motorcyclist’s body that absorbs the force of a crash, leaving the motorcyclist with tragic injuries.
These injuries may include:
- Severe brain injuries,
- Skull and head injuries,
- Facial injuries,
- Broken bone injuries,
- Internal injuries,
- Loss of limb injuries,
- Soft tissue injuries, and
- Back and neck injuries (including spinal cord injuries).
A motorcyclist who is involved in a crash may never be able to use their body in the same way again and may never regain the same quality of life they had before the accident. In the case of an accident with a commercial truck, the possibility of getting serious injuries is much higher.
Damages Recoverable After a Motorcycle Accident
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, you deserve to be fully compensated for your losses. Types of damages that are recoverable after a motorcycle accident include:
- Medical expenses. A motorcyclist who is involved in a crash will likely incur significant amounts of medical debt, especially if they do not have adequate health insurance coverage. Our Houston accident lawyer will advocate for your right to recover 100 percent of your medical expenses, including medical expenses you may face in the future.
- Lost wages. Serious injuries are often disabling, leaving an injured motorcyclist with the inability to return to work. This means lost wages and loss of earning capacity in the future, including lost benefits. An injured party should be compensated for the full economic value of lost wages and future lost wages.
- Property damage expenses. Motorcycles are expensive, as are the many items that a motorcyclist may have on their person at the time of the crash and which may be destroyed in the accident, such as a cell phone, helmet, and clothing.
- Pain and suffering damages. Finally, in addition to recovering your full value of economic damages, Houston motorcycle accident lawyers can also assist you in recovering compensation for any noneconomic losses you suffer, including the value of your pain, suffering, diminished quality of life, emotional anguish, and other losses.
Should I File a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
Many people who are injured in motorcycle accidents are unsure of how the claims process works and whether or not they will need to file a motorcycle accident lawsuit.
Typically, the first step after the at-fault party has been identified is to bring a claim against the at-fault party’s liability insurance (which drivers in Texas are required to carry). During this process, you (and your legal representative if you choose to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer in Houston, TX) will enter into negotiations with the insurance adjuster in an attempt of reaching a settlement. The vast majority of motorcycle accident claims are settled without a lawsuit ever being filed.
Of course, sometimes, disputes over fault or damages prevent sides from being able to reach a settlement that they both believe to be fair. When this is the case, filing a lawsuit may be the only way to recover the compensation award that’s deserved.
While our motorcycle accident lawyer in Houston will aggressively negotiate your claim and work hard to reach a settlement, if this process fails, we will be prepared to file your suit and represent you during litigation.
Houston, Texas Motorcycle Accident Laws
Note that Texas follows a 51 percent bar rule, which holds that a motorcyclist is barred from recovering damages from another party if they are found to be 51 percent or more to blame for a motorcycle accident. If less than 51 percent are at fault, they can still recover compensation, but their damages will be reduced in proportion to their degree of fault.
Call a Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today to Learn More
Motorcycle accident lawyers are often critical to the outcome of motorcyclists’ claims following serious accidents. At our law firm, our lawyers care about each client that walks through our door, and they know how much you have on the line. When you choose our Houston motorcycle accident attorney, you’re choosing an advocate who will work hard for you.
To schedule your free consultation with our law firm today, please contact us to tell us more about your motorcycle accident or call us directly.