It’s common to see crash and accident used interchangeably when it comes to collisions. But in reality, they’re not exactly the same. That’s because an accident is not considered preventable, while a crash is often able to be prevented.
If you’re still not sure how a crash is different from an accident, here’s a look at some examples of each, as well as the main reason that most people prefer to call a collision an accident rather than a crash.
What’s an Accident?
In an accident, you have no control over what’s happened. It’s something you did not mean to do and could not have reasonably foreseen or prevented. As such, it’s not considered your fault. In fact, no one, in particular, is at fault for an accident. These are some examples of car accidents:
- You got a flat tire or a tire blowout that caused you to lose control of the vehicle
- There were objects or debris on the road that you couldn’t see
- Someone darted out in front of your car
- Your vehicle had a serious defect, such as brake malfunction
- You had a medical emergency while driving
- Another driver crashed into your car
- If any of these issues occurred while you were driving, you should let a car accident lawyer know. You will likely be able to collect compensation from the at-fault party, whether it’s another driver or the manufacturer of your car.
What Is a Crash?
By contrast, a crash is typically preventable. It means something you did caused your car to collide with another car, a pedestrian, or an object. These are some examples of why you might crash:
- Driving impaired due to drugs or alcohol
- Driving drowsy
- Driving while distracted, such as when texting
- Running a red light
- Running a stop sign
- Driving a car that you know is unsafe or defective
If you suspect the other driver in your collision made any of the above decisions and ended up injuring you in a crash, it’s important to talk to a car accident attorney about your legal options.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help You?
You should note that car insurance companies are known for calling preventable car crash accidents, as this removes the suggestion that anyone is at fault. This is one way for them to avoid taking financial responsibility for the collision when a driver they insure clearly caused it.
This is why you should hire a car accident lawyer from Houston to represent you when you make a claim against an insurance company. The right lawyer will prove fault and get the compensation you deserve. Contact our law firm today at (713) 489-4270 to learn more.