Any traffic accident, no matter how small, is already stressful and frightening enough. However, accidents involving large commercial vehicles such as a lorry or 18-wheeler are far more dire. Such accidents can often have disastrous consequences due to the size of the truck and, in some cases, the weight of its cargo. If you or someone you love gets hit by a large vehicle like a truck or 18-Wheeler, it’s important to know what to do next.
What to Do Immediately After the Accident
Getting legal advice on accidents involving large commercial vehicles such as a lorry or 18-wheeler is primarily best for your health, but also helps you get the best results regarding your claims with the insurance company.
First Make Sure You Are Well And Safe And Call 9-1-1 Immediately
Your top priority is your health and safety. First make sure you are safe and then call 9-1-1. Remain in your vehicle until the response teams arrive. If you are not in a safe position, try to move to the area where you can be safe. If there are other people in the vehicle than you, check their health status. If injured, try not to move them and wait for first responders.
Exchange Information / Documents With The Other Driver
Get all kinds of information about the driver of the commercial vehicle that hit you and the company he works for, including the following:
- Name, address and telephone number of persons involved in the accident
- Insurance information and policy number
- vehicle registration card
- Name, address and phone number of the company where the truck driver works
- The make, model, year, color and license plate of the truck
- VIN number. It is usually located on the lower left windshield and/or inside the driver’s door.
If you are urgently referred to the hospital without obtaining the above information, the police officers arriving at the scene will obtain the above information and prepare an accident report containing this information. Therefore, when you receive the accident report, you will be aware of the above information.
Note All Details About The Accident Site
Make a note of the exact location of the accident, the street names and address, as well as the contact details of each of the witnesses, if any. If you are physically able, take photos of:
- The accident site and its surroundings from all sides and angles
- Any skid marks on the road
- Every vehicle involved in the accident and damage to these vehicles
- Truck driver’s license
- Your wounds.
If you have a dash cam, make sure it records all video footage. All this information will help you a lot in proving that the responsibility in the accident belongs to the other party and in your claims for compensation.
Contact An Experienced Accident Attorney In 18-Wheeler Accidents Within No Time
Get free advice in no time from an experienced accident lawyer in truck and 18-Wheeler accidents. An experienced accident lawyer will guide you through the next steps and to get the maximum compensation for the treatment costs, vehicle damage, loss of salary/wage and all other damages you incurred as a result of the accident.
Why Are Traffic Accidents Caused by Large Commercial Vehicles such as Trucks or 18-Wheels Often Occur?
The most common and illegal actions that cause truck or 18-wheeler vehicle accidents are:
- Not Paying Attention to the Road: Talking on a cell phone while driving, texting, eating / drinking, watching TV or surfing the Internet.
- Long Hours with the Driver on the Road: A truck driver being on the road for long hours can cause him or her to be drowsy, drive carelessly or even fall asleep at the wheel.
- Improper Driving: If the driver uses drugs or alcohol while on the road, there may be aggressive or unsafe driving maneuvers or speeding.
- Failure of the Vehicle to Have Necessary Maintenance: Before starting a journey, especially commercial vehicles such as trucks or 18-Wheelers, it should be ensured that the trailers and all parts of the vehicle are working properly and safely. Overloading the trailer, unsuitable fasteners, deflated tires, broken mirrors and other missing vehicle maintenance can cause serious accidents.
- Poorly Trained Drivers or Lack of Experience. Companies can be negligent when hiring truck drivers. In other words, the drivers who are hired without researching the driving history of the drivers, without the necessary tests on the use of prohibited substances and without a good driving training can cause major accidents.
18-Talk to an Experienced Accident Lawyer About Wheeler Accidents
If you or a loved one is involved in an accident with a vehicle such as a truck or 18-Wheeler, you may be entitled to legal compensation. Contact Milano Legal Group Accident Lawyers who are experienced in this type of accident so we can help you get your life back together and get maximum compensation. Call (855) 720-0495 for a free consultation. Our legal team is at your service 24/7. You can reach us every day of the week and at any time of the day.